CELPIP in 5 Minutes a Day: Speaking Tips
When it comes to preparing for CELPIP, the best advice we can offer to you is to take your time. Preparing for the test the day or even just the night before you take it will not allow you adequate time to prepare and feel comfortable taking your test. As we’ve outlined in our previous blog, creating a daily study routine is your best path to ensuring your success. In this blog, we will focus on tips for the speaking portion of your study routine.
Take the time to practice speaking English.
Practice speaking English with your friends, family and co-workers. Remember that the Speaking Test is delivered through a computer so there is no human examiner. Practice speaking into a recording device so that you can feel confident during your test.
Draw from your own life experiences.
Remember that during the CELPIP Test, whenever possible, try to draw from your own life experiences in the Speaking tasks. Practice talking about something personal and meaningful to you is much easier than making something up, and having some experiences prepared can be helpful to draw on for the speaking portions of the test.
Speak clearly and at a natural pace.
It is important during your test to speak clearly into the microphone. When you are practicing speaking aloud, remember to speak clearly and at a pace that doesn’t allow your words to become confused. If possible, record yourself with a smartphone or digital recorder so you can listen to your speaking voice.
Don’t worry about your accent.
Unless your accent prevents you from being understood, do not focus on it. Instead, concentrate on using good grammar, accurate and varied vocabulary.
- Practice tests: from our free online practice test, to our additional paid practice tests, these will give you a good idea of your current score level, and will allow you to focus on areas that you need to improve upon.
- Free webinars: for each test component, we have hours of free webinars, hosted by a CELPIP expert. These online courses are available as live webinars each month, and as recorded sessions on our YouTube channel. We recommend our Speaking Pro webinar, available each month!
- Study materials in the online store: we have created a wide range of study materials to help you prepare for CELPIP, from additional practice tests, to Accelerate (you will receive a free version, Accelerate Starter, when you register for a CELPIP test!), our self-directed online study program that includes worksheets, practice tasks, and more.
- Preparation programs: for additional guided preparation, contact your local test centre to see what preparation programs are available in your area and online.
- Practicing using a computer and familiarizing yourself with a variety of speaking tasks, such as ordering food at a restaurant, or speaking with a friend or colleague in English, are great ways to improve your speaking skills.
- The online study programs in our online store, such as CELPIP Accelerate, each provide study materials that you can use each day, from vocabulary building exercises to speaking strategies to improve your test responses. These are a great option for adding to your daily study routine.