Frequently Asked Questions
The CELPIP Test is designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The CELPIP-General Test is proof of English language proficiency for permanent resident status in Canada and the CELPIP-General LS Test is proof of Listening and Speaking proficiency for Canadian citizenship. For specific language requirements, please visit the IRCC website at www.cic.gc.ca.
The CELPIP Test is fully computer delivered. However, the test must be completed in person at one of our test centres.
CELPIP Tests are now available internationally, with test sittings now available in UAE, USA, Philippines, and India. We are constantly working to improve our services and the availability of our tests. Please check our website often for updates regarding new testing locations.
Canadian English is the variety of English spoken in Canada. It contains elements of British English and American English in its vocabulary, as well as many distinctive Canadianisms. Please note that both British and American English spellings are accepted on the CELPIP Test.
To get a good idea of what a Canadian accent sounds like, we recommend reviewing the Listening component of our free Online Sample Test.
Currently, the CELPIP-General Test is not considered a designated English language test by the Quebec Immigration Office. Quebec establishes its own immigration requirements. To learn about that province’s requirements, visit Quebec’s immigration website.
Each component of the test is given a CELPIP Level and there is no pass or fail. It is recommended that you contact the institution to which you are applying about their English language requirements.
If you have a disability or special condition that might require special arrangements, please fill out the Special Accommodations Request Form and submit it to Paragon Testing Enterprises to request such arrangements. A minimum of 2 months’ advance notice prior to the registered CELPIP Test sitting date must be provided in order for the request to be considered. Requests must be accompanied by medical documentation (in English or translated by an authorized translator into English) issued within 2 years of the request date by a professional who is qualified to evaluate the test taker’s special needs. Each request is treated on a case-by-case basis and must be reviewed and approved by Paragon’s central CELPIP Office before special arrangements for a test sitting can be confirmed.
When Paragon acquired the CAEL Test, the company decided to retire its CELPIP-Academic Test. If you would like to take an academic English proficiency test, please visit www.cael.ca.
If you are having trouble accessing your Online Learning Program or Online Practice Tests, please try the following:
- Use a desktop computer, as the online products are not compatible with smartphones or tablets.
- Ensure that your browser meets the minimum version requirements as listed below:
Chrome: version 14 or higher
Firefox: version 6 or higher
Opera: version 12.10 or higher
Safari: version 4 or higher
- Try a different browser than the one that you are currently in.
- Ensure that the email address and password you are entering are correct.
To report a test security issue, please visit our Test Security page.
For information on test fees, see Test Locations and Fees.
We accept the following forms of payment:
- Online: VISA®, MasterCard®, American Express®, PayPal®
- By Mail: Money Orders
- If you do not have a credit card for online payment, we do recommend prepaid credit cards such as Mastercard® Prepaid Cards or Visa® Gift Cards. Full payment must be made with one card only.
- You can register and pay in person at either of our head offices which are located in Vancouver, BC and Toronto, ON.
- With PayPal® , you can make purchases from your bank account or registered credit card. Simply choose PayPal at checkout, sign in to your PayPal account, and confirm your payment details.
- We do not accept personal cheques. If you are paying by money order, payment must be made in Canadian dollars (CAD$) and made payable to “Paragon Testing Enterprises Inc.“. The name of the person taking the test or ordering study materials must be on the front of the money order.
- We do not accept VISA® Debit as payment.
- If paying by credit card, your statement will show this transaction as “Paragon Testing Ent”. Please ensure that anyone who reviews the statement is aware of the transaction.
For information on how cancel your test date or transfer to an alternate test session, visit the Policies & Forms page.
No. You do not need to submit a photo of yourself as a part of your application or on the day of your CELPIP Test. In fact, we take a picture of you on the day of the test.
- Online (Recommended)
- By mail (For registrations in Canada only)
- Download a CELPIP Registration Form.
- Complete and submit the CELPIP Registration Form by mail.
- In person at the CELPIP Head Office in Vancouver, British Columbia, or at the Paragon Office in Toronto, Ontario
Please note that CELPIP Test Centres do not process any registration applications. All registrations are completed through Paragon’s CELPIP Office by any of the methods listed above.
- Please note that there is no walk-in registration for the CELPIP Test.
- It is recommended that you register well in advance because test centres have limited capacity and registration requests are processed in the order in which they are received.
- To take the CELPIP Test, you must be familiar with using a computer mouse and keyboard.
- If you are under 18, please fill out our CELPIP Registration Form for Minors.
- To register at one of our head offices, you are required to present your acceptable, original and valid (unexpired) identification.
If you experience any problems with our online registration page, please contact our office by email at email@example.com, by phone at 778-327-6854 (in the Vancouver area), at 647-793-8278 (in the Toronto area) or 1-800-958-5186 toll free (within North America).
The CELPIP Test Centres do not process any registration applications. All registrations should be completed through the CELPIP Office at Paragon Testing Enterprises. The best and easiest way to register is online.
If you have not entered a credit card number for payment, your registration will be in pending status until it is paid for. Please follow these steps within 24 hours of attempting to register:
- Sign in to your CELPIP account here.
- Once you have signed in, you will see a small picture of a shopping cart with an orange box with the number 0 or 1 beside it, in the top right hand corner of the page. Click the orange box. It will take you to a page that says “Shopping cart”.
- You will see your registration and a button labelled “Checkout”. Click “Checkout”.
- Verify your address and click “Next” at the bottom of the page to review your order.
- Click “Place order”. Enter a valid credit card for payment of your registration fee. Once this payment is complete, you will receive an email confirming your CELPIP Test registration is complete.
If you registered for the CELPIP Test with a passport booklet, we recommend that you do not send it away for any reason (i.e., extensions or visa renewals) before your scheduled test date. If you are required to do so, please send away your passport booklet after you have taken the test or before you register for the test. If you do not provide your passport booklet or the identification document that you registered at the test sitting, you will be refused entry to the test and no refunds or transfers will be given. For more information, see the Cancellation and Transfer Policies.
For test takers in the Philippines who do not have a credit card for online payment, we do recommend prepaid credit cards, which can be purchased at the following financial institutions:
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI): http://www.bpicards.com/Cards/PrepaidDetails/50
- Banco De Oro (BDO): https://www.bdo.com.ph/personal/accounts/cash-card/limits-fees
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation (RCBC): https://rcbcsavings.com/?p=113
- UnionBank https://www.unionbankph.com/personal/debitcards/cards/196-personal/83-eon
- Landbank https://www.landbank.com/landbank-visa-debit-card
- Eastwest Bank https://www.eastwestbanker.com/info/cards_PrepaidCard.asp
Please note that full payment must be made with one card only.
Test takers are also able to register and pay for a CELPIP Test in person at one of our Approved CELPIP Registration Agents (ACRA).
To update the registration details (ie. name, date of birth), please contact our office by email to submit a formal request to have it amended. Please note that the name and date of birth entered for your CELPIP Test registration must match exactly with the ID you present on the day of the CELPIP Test. If the name does not match, you may be refused entry to the test and will not be eligible for a refund or transfer.
Paragon Testing Enterprises works with organizations in the Philippines to allow for in-person CELPIP Test registration and payment. Approved centres are known as an Approved CELPIP Registration Agent (ACRA). Please note that Paragon Testing Enterprises is not responsible for exchange rates, which may differ between organizations.
You can register and pay in person at our test centre, Magsaysay Institute of Hospitality and Culinary Arts.
You may also register and pay in person at one of our other ACRAs:
Paragon Testing Enterprises works with organizations in the India to allow for in-person CELPIP Test registration and payment. Please note that Paragon Testing Enterprises is not responsible for exchange rates, which may differ between organizations.
You can register and pay in person at our test centre, India2Canada, or at any of these accredited organizations:
- Avenues Abroad
- Blue Sapphire Consultants Ltd.
- Braincode Education
- Canam Consultants Ltd.
- Centre for English and Foreign Languages (CEFL)
- Charms Education and Immigration Services
- Chopra Consultancy
- ClearPath Visa and Immigration Services
- Cosmo Overseas
- Grey Matters
- InSync Learning and Development
- Kangaroo Studies Private Ltd.
- Learning Wings
- M.M. Advisory Services
- Sunrise International
- Take off Educational Consultants
- Touchstone Educationals
- Webberz Educomp Limited
A test confirmation email is sent to each test taker who has successfully registered for a CELPIP Test. If you have not received (or have lost) your test confirmation email, please:
- Check you email junk folder, or
- Contact our office.
For information on what kind of identification is acceptable for the CELPIP Test, click here.
Unfortunately not. Later comers will be refused entry and will not be allowed to take the test. It is the test taker’s responsibility to arrive early for their test. We do enforce the 45 minutes early arrival rule before test time schedule for test takers to avoid being late. Test takers would be considered late if they arrived right at the test start time or later and they will need to register and pay again for the new test.
Since the CELPIP Tests are delivered in a computer lab, we do not allow any food or drinks in the lab. However, if you do need some water during the test, please raise your hand and a Test Centre Supervisor will escort you to the water fountain.
Paper will be supplied to you at the test centre for any notes you may wish to write down. This paper must be returned to the Test Centre Supervisor at the end of the test. You may not bring any other paper into the test room.
No. A headset and microphone for the Listening and Speaking components of the test are provided by the test centre.
In rare instances, your CELPIP scores may be delayed. This could be for one of the following reasons:
- We determined that your test required additional review before scores could be released. We may contact you for more information.
- You reported an issue to Paragon Testing Enterprises within 48 hours of your test. We may hold the scores if we are still investigating.
- We require additional confirmation of your identify, or we are investigating possible testing irregularities.
If it’s been more than 5 calendar days since your test and you have not received an email from the CELPIP Office, please feel free to contact us directly for more information.
If it’s been 5 calendar days or less since your test, your scores should be posted soon! You will receive an email confirmation once your scores are available online.
We will make your scores available to you for 2 years from the date of the test. The length of time that your scores are considered valid by various institutions, however, is determined by their individual policies. You can obtain this information from these institutions.
You may register for no more than one Test Session within four (4) calendar days. Test session registrations that violate this rule are subject to cancellation by Paragon
The CELPIP Office recommends that you do additional studying before retaking the test. See CELPIP Instructional Materials.
You can apply for a re-evaluation of some or all components of your CELPIP Test within 6 months of the test date. You must pay a re-evaluation fee at the time of your application. The amount of the fee will depend on which components of the test you would like to have re-evaluated. If the CELPIP level changes for any component that has been re-evaluated, the re-evaluation fee for that component will be refunded. Please note that there is a limit of one re-evaluation for any particular component of the test. Re-evaluation requests are final sale, and cannot be cancelled once the request has been submitted. Please note that requesting a re-evaluation of the Listening and Reading components is unlikely to result in a change in your scores as they are computer rated.
Test takers who apply for a re-evaluation of their test results will be notified of the results of the re-evaluation in approximately 1 to 2 weeks of submitting of their application and paying the re-evaluation fee.
To make a re-evaluation request, sign in to your CELPIP Account.
Your Official CELPIP Score Report is mailed out the day after your scores are posted online. We make every effort to have score reports delivered to test takers successfully, however, it is the test takers’ sole responsibility to ensure that they have the correct shipping address on file. Test takers will shoulder any extra cost that results in re-shipment because of an incorrect mailing/delivery address provided.
Regular mail without tracking information (via Canada Post’s standard delivery service)
Within Canada – 2 to 10 business days (Monday to Friday only)
International – 2 to 3 weeks
Priority Shipping with tracking information (via courier)
Within Canada and United States – 2 to 4 business days (Monday to Friday only)
International – 3 to 7 business days (Monday to Friday only)
Please note that the times listed above are estimates only. The date of delivery may vary due to shipping practices, delivery location or method of delivery. For test takers with application deadlines, we recommend that they plan and register for the test well in advance in order to meet these deadlines. Paragon Testing Enterprises will not be held accountable for any lost, misplaced, or delayed shipments.
IMPORTANT NOTE About Shipment With Tracking Details:
For score reports that were not received by test takers, but were confirmed to have been successfully delivered through the tracking information, it will be the test takers’ responsibility to contact the courier to investigate the issue.